Friday, November 25, 2011

Can't Help Falling in Love

     It all started when I was riding home from Washington, D.C. with a friend. She had her i-pod on shuffle and the the song "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis Presley came on. I didn't know the name of the song, or the artist, but in immediately fell in love with it. I asked my friend for the name of the song, and she gave it to me, but I forgot it.
     
    A few weeks later,  I was at a party for a family friend, and there was another party next door to us. They had a DJ, and he announced the next song. The first few notes started to hum out of the speaker, and my head immediately shot up. It was the song I had heard in the car! This time I wrote the name down and listened to it over and over again. It was the type of song that you love so much that it never leaves your mind, but you don't care because you'll never get sick of it.
     
     This song launched a love of Elvis and many older artists for me. I listened to many of Elvis' other songs, and am now a fan of his. Of course, I still love current music, but I feel like hearing this one song has opened up my music taste to something more than the songs of my generation.
     
      But my story has a serendipitous twist. I was in the car with my great uncle and cousins when I mentioned that I liked Elvis. He just stopped and looked at me through the rear view mirror. "No you don't!" he said, shocked. He then explained to me that my grandmother was absolutely obsessed with Elvis. She had been to his concerts and even fought a girl over a scarf that he threw into the crowd. He also mentioned that he remembers when my grandmother, his sister, told him about the song that I heard that day. He said she was so excited about it.
   
    Now, I know it's not uncommon for a teenage girl in the late 50s and early 60s to love Elvis, but everyone says that I look exactly like my grandmother. At a recent family party, we passed around her wedding album, and even my mother's side of the family agreed that I am a spitting image of her. Sadly, she passed away before I was born, but I think we would've gotten along very well. It's nice to know that we have a connection, though. This whole situation has really made me believe in fate, I almost lost the song, but I went to that party, and it found me.

This is the song:


No comments:

Post a Comment